I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org

Monday, February 22, 2010

DIY: centerpieces pt. 3

Like I talked about last week, our centerpieces are going to be potted plants in hand painted terra cotta planters. And while I would love to have the centerpieces sit upon beautiful vintage tablecloths to add some more color to the tables, we simply don't have the time or money to execute that plan. At first, I thought I'd have to invest a good chunk of dough into linens because I'm a color girl. No white tablecloths for me. There had to be color. And I probably would have paid a lot for it. Thankfully for our budget, I came across this photo and decided to recreate it the same sort of look.


Apparently, this idea is becoming more and more popular for weddings, but until I came across this photo, I'd never thought of doing it. Personally, I think it's a great idea to incorporate a favorite fabric or some color without going overboard. So instead of full tablecloths, I've purchased a few meters of fabric and cut them into fat quarters. (That's right, fat quarters, which, by the way, is the most unattractive name for a piece of fabric... ever. But essentially, it's just squares of fabric that is 20 x 22 inches.)

For anyone considering a similar project, I would highly recommend searching through Etsy's fabric category because they have just about every fabric known to man. From vintage to designer fabric, there was so much selection that it took me a good month to make a final decision. Okay, so it's not the best choice if you're indecisive and the choices will keep you up at night, but if you want options, I recommend it.

[Personal anecdote on decisions: I was debating between two of my favorite fabrics for weeks. They were very different and I loved them so much, but for the life of me, I couldn't decide what kind of look I wanted. So we ended up taping them to a wall in our apartment for a week to live with them for a while. Ridiculous, I know, but effective. It definitely made the decision easier.]


After finally settling on an Alexander Henry fabric called Anemone, we bought 4 yards from BittyBlossoms, who I would highly recommend because she was a big help in setting up our custom listing. And although I could settle on a fabric, I couldn't decide on a color palette (it comes in Periwinkle, Pink, and Sage, which can be seen here) so we went with two that incorporate some of the same colors and fit within our jewel tone color theme. And because the edges have a convenient color coding thingy (it's official title, I'm sure) on the side, it was super easy to match the fabric to the paints I picked out for the terra cotta pots.



{Photos by me, with apologies for the wrinkles}

I looooooove them. They're bold, colorful and slightly crazy. Just like us. Now I just have to get to work sewing them so the edges are clean and we'll be good to go.

Hopefully when it's all said and done, they'll look something like this.


Minus the horrible orange planter which I decided I hate but it's the only one I still have at the apartment because the rest are living safely in my parents house. I swear, the other ones look better.

6 comments:

My Dream Ring said...

I am loving the colors...

Jess said...

Even though you warned me I clicked the fabric link. I swear Etsy is my drug of choice at the moment. You have inspired me, I'm going to attempt to make fat quarters for my tables too :p

dognbird said...

This is going to be so charming! Love the fabrics and the idea of potted plants - gift that keeps on giving.

Chocolate Lover said...

I really love the colors on the fabrics you picked!

Amy said...

That very first photo on this post is where I found the inspiration to do my fabric centerpiece - I love the idea!

Your fabric is so much fun!!!

Ms. Bunny said...

Such a great idea. That fabric is bold and awesome.

Post a Comment

Please avoid comments that contain personal attacks, snarkiness, spam, or any other not-so-nice qualities.