I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org

Monday, August 2, 2010

DIY: photo booth + templates

In the past year of writing this blog, I've talked about wedding photo booths about a gazillion times, as you can plainly see here.


When we came across the idea for the first time in the crazy world that is online wedding inspiration, we immediately fell in love with the idea. Couldn't get it out of our heads kind of love. I have a giant folder on my computer devoted to photo booth inspiration. We debated the use of props. We weighed our backdrop options. We thought of the perfect place to hang it.

In the end, it wasn't nearly as much work as I'd thought it would be. It consisted of a few simple mustaches on sticks and a backdrop which was fashioned out of our living room curtains. Tie it to a tree and weight it down because it was windy on our wedding day and voila! photo booth.

And thanks to our crazy family and some extra props provided by our photographer, the wedding day photo booth photos are now some of our favorites because they're simple yet hilarious.








(first 2 photos by our photographer; photo booth photos courtesy of Mr. FP's cousin)

We ended up asking a cousin of Mr. FP to man the photo booth with our camera and I'd highly recommend this method to anyone considering a photo booth. If you use a friend, you don't need to monopolize the precious time you have with your photographer on the photo booth. It's entertaining to guests if you plan on doing photos between the ceremony and reception like we did and let's face it, photo booth photos don't require much artistic creation from a professional.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen some very artsy photo booth photos and thought they were divine, but our favorites ended up being the simple ones with the backdrop centered and people standing in front of it. Nothing artsy. Nothing complicated. Nothing someone who has even a basic knowledge of cameras can't help you with. Just crazy people with mustaches.

Speaking of which, I finally compiled all those templates of mustaches like I'd promised and I'm included them below. Just click on the images below to enlarge and save the large, original version. They're sized to print on standard, letter paper but the size could easily be adjusted if you wanted bigger or smaller. (Feel free to let me know if you have trouble accessing them from this post because I could always try e-mailing them too.)


#1

#2

As far as the assembly process, I'd highly recommend that you don't attach standard printer paper directly to a stick because it'll likely be too flimsy and will damage easily. We traced them onto white card stock and glued felt on top, but you could also just cut out the mustaches from the printer paper and attach them directly to card stock if you wanted to forgo the felt.

The mustaches and mouth should be pretty straight forward, but I'd advise that you use extra caution when cutting out the glasses because they're more difficult. I'd highly recommend use a craft knife (I got mine at the dollar store) instead of scissors for those. And the dowels can easily be found at the dollar store as well; check the seasonal or BBQ section of the store because the ones we bought were actually supposed to be used as kabob skewers.

Happy 'staching!

14 comments:

GM said...

Fun! I'm really looking forward to the photo booth at our wedding. Thanks for the templates!

Angie said...

ok.. never thought the photobooth props were my thing, but at a recent wedding i attended i was a prop whore. i was digging through that box, man! picking stuff our for myself and dressing up others. it was awesome. it gives folks a chance to be silly and everyone from the groom's grandparents to his drunk college buds to the little kids loved it. nice work, lady!

Born to be Mrs. Beever said...

The photobooth was a surprise for my groom. I told him early on I wanted one and he said we couldn't afford it. So I surprised him with it and it was by far one of the biggest hits of the night. People loved it and we totally got some of our very favorite photos from that booth! Glad you did this, too. Great photos!

Nicole-Lynn said...

The templates are great, thanks! Your photo booth looked like it was a big hit!

abpep said...

Hi there! I just tried to print them out and they were tiny:( Would it be possible to email them both to me? abpepple@gmail.com Thank you so much for such a wonderful and fun idea!!! Abbie Pepple

Anonymous said...

Personally I think overjoyed I discovered the blogs.http://bristolphtoboothfun.co.uk

Anonymous said...

This post is really valuable that designed for the new visitors. Pleasing work, keep on writing. Shree Vella Photography

Joe Root said...

If it's not too much trouble share more like that. photo booth wedding Malaysia

limonsammyy said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.
Melbourne Hastag Print

Unknown said...

Have you ever thought about publishing an ebook or guest authoring on other sites? I have a blog centered on the same information you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my viewers would appreciate your work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e-mail.wedding photo booths near me

Rumi said...

The material and aggregation is excellent and telltale as comfortably.
National Macaroni Day

Allyseek said...

Allyseek is a global matrimony website intended to help you find your life partner. The matrimonial platform connects people from different nationalities and races from anywhere in the world. Trusted by millions of Brides & Grooms globally. Register FREE!.
Visit: Bahrain matrimony

Best background remove said...

wow lovely photos and styling I like It. Thanks for sharing.
remove the background of a picture photoshop

Unknown said...

nice post.Product photography in chennai
Professional Product photography in chennai
Product photographers in chennai
Professional Product photographers in chennai
\

Post a Comment

Please avoid comments that contain personal attacks, snarkiness, spam, or any other not-so-nice qualities.